View Single Post
Old 11-13-2016, 08:50 AM

*Bill Judd's 'Rest of the story'/Last IQ*
Steamboating colleagues:
Thank you Capt. Bill Judd for stepping up to the microphone here and 'the rest of the strory' I knew you could provide RE: the last ISLAND QUEEN. Watch out here as you're giving away your age. At 12 then you were older than me but apparently we both had pretty good powers of observation and memory. My dad always took me pointing things out, explaining with "don't forget this in years to come." "Five trips each day" figures out to an hour or more one-way up to CONEY to unload, reload passengers. How long she laid at CONEY I can't remember but the morning trips would have many getting off for her to head back down for another load. So, about 10 plus hours running with layup had her working on/around 16 hours a day in season basically as a human ferry boat. Right about CONEY and big SUNLITE POOL closed on Monday, boat running "afternoon and evening charter trips." In later years the economics of closing CONEY were ditched to open 7 days a week in season. Bill, remember the IQ wharfboat foot of Broadway here? Not as big as the GREENE LINE wharfboat. There was a big clock on the wharboat door and stage so people could run down Broadway from street cars or some cars to get aboard. Underway, the IQ's huge engines were awesome seeing, hearing the steam with the pitmans sliding in and out on an angle if I recall. Observers could watch standing behind iron tube railings back in there.

I never met Capt. Ben Pattison, Doss; but did know Homer Denny as his relatives lived next door to us. Some Sundays Homer rode the Cincinnati trolley bus out for dinner and big music fests with the family. Homer on piano, family members on violin, wind instruments, drums. They were all a very musical family with creative minds. One older nephew way back invented his own electrical lawn mower made from a vacuum cleaner, steel garbage can lid mounted on roller skates with a long electrical cord. Dexter, my age, went on to attend University of Cincinnati/College Conservatory of Music as a very talented violinist. I never recalled Mrs. Denny personally but know they lived over in Norwood. Ben Pattison's daughter lived just across Burney Lane from me here with Mr. Hoebel her husband and a stock broker. Many a story she told me along with some river souvenirs, photos, relics she gave me. Ben Pattison also was in the Coast Guard and, I think,' with the then 'Steamboat Inspection Service.' She and her husband knew Capt. Fred Way, Capt. Jesse Hughes well along with many of the older generation of the Greene family. Dad knew one of the Halls working on the IQ then and I know you remember them. Bill, for what it's worth, we were lucky to have been there then and where we are now.

As mentioned, the question of the ISLAND QUEEN surviving, running if she hadn't gone up KERBANG! in a "ball of flames" as you mention a good question. I mentioned the hard, cold financial facts on her docket records of quickly declining ridership after 1945--and even a gradual decline not good financially for a boat and operation her size. Lots of "maybe, could, ifs, possibly, shoulda' been" and we don't know. When CONEY did close when KINGS ISLAND was built meant the park scalled back from its former glory. CONEY is running again on a smaller scale but doing well. That alone with autos and busses probably would have done her in. As a big excursion boat here again more big IFS [????]. The AVALON came in and, perhaps, she was just the right size, economics for the excursion trade along with JOHNSON PARTY BOATS. There was for a time talk of a "new boat for CONEY" and that's another story as I saw, heard about it in a meeting.

Bill, the old boat landing at CONEY survives with the stone entry gate and all, but what condition is the old revetment dike and landing place behind? Hasn't that silted it and has the revement been dug out or blasted out? Sorry to write so much here. Heck, what do I know?

R. Dale Flick
Old Coal Haven Landing, Ohio River, Cincinnati