View Single Post
Old 07-25-2016, 08:03 AM

*J.M. WHITE whistle pipe/How and why with Tobin?*
Morning, Steamboating colleagues:
Great thread here from Jim with observations from Keith, Bob, Russ, and I agree with the steamboat forensics revealed in the photos. Who would have thought and leave it to Jim's keen eye. Went on line, dug in other books/photos here of the WHITE but found none more detailed with the whistle pipe. Jim and Keith probably know for sure, but seems to me [?] there could, possibly, perhaps be 'another' WHITE photo inside her pilothouse. Or am I thinking of another boat with no center pipe evident?

Eons ago Capt. Fred Way showed me an original copy of the Louisville newspaper article written by sage Will S. Hayes when the WHITE was finished. These big 'blows' in newspapers of the day were long, detailed with a wide public audience. I don't recall any mention of her whistle or that pipe in the article Fred had. Several other original news articles by Hayes I have here mention whistles but not how mounted. Pulled down 'Paddlewheels to Propellers' by Fishbaugh reading those pages on the WHITE with no mention. But then really why would there be?

Tobin may have been a man who got what he wanted and able to afford it, but to mount a steam pipe like that today would give the Coast Guard heartburn. I wonder also about working around the pipe, heat radiating from it in all seasons? No doubt the Howards employed asbestos insulation with steam pipes, engines, boilers as it had been on the market from the very early 1870s and earlier with emergence of the industrial revolution. Already by the 1890s medical literature focused on the dangers of breathing asbestos. This a prelude to what we know today. And there is no such thing as "inert asbestos." What impresses me is that incredible sign board on the front, sides of the J.S, WHITE pilothouse with incised letters in gilt, dark field in black no doubt done with finely ground coal applied with mastic that glistened in the light. Those signs even then were admired as a fine piece of craftsmanship if not art. Well, what do I know?

R. Dale Flick
Old Coal Haven Landing, Ohio River, Cincinnati