View Single Post
Old 06-04-2016, 01:47 PM

Location: Northern California above Lake Oroville on "Dewey Mountain"

While I followed the DQ and Greene Line since the mid 1960s, I wasn't able to ride Her Majesty until March, 2007--first trip of the season and first under Majestic America Line (how appropriate those initials). They were serving West Coast, or "California Cuisine" created by some fru-fra chef from Seattle, WA. Now Seattle is a "Foodie" town, and that's what the offerings were. I, and a number of other passengers, expressed our dismay at the offerings. I, for one, did not travel half-way across the country to eat the same stuff I got at home when dining out! All of us made enough noise that the dismissed "Picnic" was hurriedly re-instated, and by the end of the trip some optional "local" fare was begrudgingly provided. As Mrs. Greene stated, "They'll soon find out." By our next trip later that year the menu had changed some. I think that trip down the Black Warrior was my favorite of the trips for scenery, although the farewell trip still holds some great memories, mostly caused by the folks on board. Now there was trip where the food was "put together on the run," and foodstuffs were running low--I even bought some honey at a Dollar General just so we could have some for our grits n biscuits. What's that say when the passengers have to help provide the food??!!!!
Steamboatin' is the best!
Attached Thumbnails
Porta Call Restaurant Kimmswick-mirror-water-1.jpg   Porta Call Restaurant Kimmswick-black-warrior-17th.jpg