View Single Post
Old 04-13-2016, 03:11 AM

Here are a few things in this vein: As mentioned, a lot of folks don't even realize you can cruise the rivers in the US. If they inquire of a travel agent (and if I did not know about the boats, I certainly would consult one), the agent has to know about the boats/companies operating. Certainly the payment of higher commissions would get my attention if I were a travel agent, but all the companies offering river cruises need to get their info "out there". Part of the trouble may also be that each agent's personal bias would play into things: does the agent love gourmet food? Does the agent have mobility issues? Does he or she want Vegas entertainment? Do they want to tour Nauvoo, IL all day or go on a riverboat ride and see the sights and learn about the river?

Let's face it, the stairs and the small rooms (and tiny bathrooms as Jim has mentioned) on the DQ are a drawback to a lot of people, for various reasons. Those of us who know and love the DQ will take that boat over others, but what about those who do not know anything about any of the boats? Steam and authenticity will always appeal to a few people, but not everyone. We can see what some people think of the Hotel Lafayette in Marietta -- some of us love it for various reasons, but others do not for various reasons, some of which are valid (and what turns some off may be the very thing that turns someone else on). The same applies to riverboats.

You might say that taking a steamboat cruise is a way to "live in the past" a little bit. Some want just that. But Capt. Wagner and Vic Tooker are long gone, as great as they were. The DQ is adequate for her market, but other more modern boats fill a need for those who need an elevator, need larger staterooms and baths, etc. I can see both sides of this issue. I love the DQ, though, and would choose her over the more modern boats. The word has to get out there, though, as to what she is and is not.