View Single Post
Old 02-09-2016, 08:48 AM

*DQ in 'Point of Vue Homa Magazine/"Ecofriendly*
Steamboating colleagues:
Thanks to Mike for passing along the above link to 'Point of Vue Houma Magazine' and to very keen eyed David Dewey for his comments. I just clicked to read here this cold, snowy morning. This piece based on nearly word by word interview with Mr. Cornell Martin no better or worse than many similar on the boat in recent years. In fact, I'd say the article much better with clear history, present plans etc. The days of major daily newspapers having a river or marine section--let alone a river reporter--long in the past with disastrous results we've all read or viewed on TV, appearing on internet official" web sites or social networking like FACEBOOK, TWITTER etc. in recent years. This piece fits in the category of 'soft news' but yet interesting. Reporters/journalists, unless trained in investigative work, often take what they are fed supplemented by questions some don't always know to ask. Again, when inspections, recommendations made by our U.S. Coast Guard appear people bristle and pout adding the Coast Guard to the increasing long list of "those to hate." The very congressional rep people pillory now may be important as a supporter tomorrow. 'Politics makes for strange bed fellows.' Whether we like the findings they make or not, they have a job to do and that's it. Comments in the past RE: "The Coast Guard will change their findings if instructed by congress" not only dangerous but wrong.

I saw no misinterpretion of Mr. Martin's words or embroidery by a jounalist or reporter and it isn't easy being interviewed. The concept of the boat as a turn of the century example is more on the line of her being designed, built for the 1920s flapper era complete with Art Decco design features. But why argue little points like that? Betty Blake got caught in her own rhetoric at first passing the boat off as "a grand Mississippi River cotton packet." Later she toned it down to, "Remember, take the DELTA QUEEN for what she is." Question to Mike: What was the report circulating that the present new location of Kisswick, Mo. was flooded with water up high in the proposed corporate buildings? What about the statement/findings that the DQ's main steam line would be required to be replaced and relocated? So many questions and so few giving answers with authority.

The piece still leaves a number of questions dangling in the air. Mr. Martin so right about congress in this current frantic, busy election year being but a "blip on the radar." I also read with no misunderstanding what David drew our attention to replace the "decades old engines...ecofriendly" etc. "Steam can be generated much more cleanly" also a two-edged sword. Even present modern big diesel tows, other internal combustion vessels even at sea, have had to revamp, upgrade their "ecofriendly" engines with great expense to meet even more strigent environmental regulations. Another factor quoted some years ago was obtaining the required bunker fuel oil for the DQ boilers. I'm sure Capts. Bill Judd, Bob Reynolds and others who had and have hands-on experience could provide additional insights. So, in my minds eye, there go the present aged boilers etc. This article elicits many more questions than answers as not really a news item more than a local interest article. Again, let Mr. Martin and his company be the ones with news updates, releases, use of an updated company press kit. I still wish Mr. Martin and his group all the best of luck. Keep pluggin' along. At this point I'll shut up and move on. Again, what do I know?

R. Dale Flick
ld Coal Haven Landing, Ohio River, Cincinnati