Thread: Just Curious
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2015, 11:33 AM

*'Just Curious'/No news can be good*
Steamboating colleagues:
Jim, David, Carole reflect my own 'Just Curious' RE: repairs, renovations of our now long languishg DELTA QUEEN. In early summer direct 'word' from one involved down there to me did mention, "Work stopped due to high heat and humidity" which I respectfully took with no questions. I also recalled the fate of the late MISSISSIPPI QUEEN down there developing dangerous mold and mildew. There are times when 'no news can be good news.' Fine photos by Judy Pastch and others early on showed outside work, wood repairs, paint scraping, outside deck drains, deck/roof surfaces being addressed. No small job and I applaud the intent, dedicated work on one very big project. No additional news either on 'fund raising' so far. Any 'fund raising' can be a daunting task with, so far, no congressional work on any exemption, 'donations/contributions' with no individual IRS tax exempt credit that I'm aware--so far. I heard some considered me being negative and caustic on this topic--which is far from the truth. A question stated is legally no statment of any 'objections.' I earned my scars and bruises years back working with the late Betty Blake on the first DQ initiative and then my work on the first repairs/renovations of the steam towboat W.W. SNYDER from 1985 to 1988 in Marietta now being carried on by the State of Ohio and other dedicated individuals, organizations. How many now here were there back then doing this? These are, as you know, often thankless jobs done on our own free time and personal expense. I would not want to disclose the personal money I spent out of pocket on the first SNYDER project. Also a known fact that contributions to a 'private corporrate operation for profit outside of the general public domain' can also be daunting. The DQ is not in the same category of a boat like the SNYDER or other museum vessels. Even the sage BELLE OF LOUSVILLE receives public and civic support in her continual operation along with her cruise revenue. The famed Str. NATCHEZ is a private for profit family operation of 1st rate status.

I've had in the past more than a a few private communications from Steamboats.org in anger regarding my thinking--and attitude. That's the way these endeavors operate but with no censoring/editing of information and knowledge to promote an official 'party line.' I have no account with FACEBOOK or any other social media; thus I have no idea what is posted until individuals send me excerpts with, "we think you should know this." I have no time for social media no matter how positive it can be. Remember, any posting on a web site, E=Mail or social media is 'out there forever' and never goes away. Once printed on paper they are considered a 'legal document.' More than a few have received a surprise when they opened a letter bearing the name/address of a law firm or agency stating. "Dear so and so...it has been brought to our attention from this source that you..." I think you get the idea. I wish the DQ, and her hard-working people, all the very best. Congress is another matter as David Dewey states and at this stage going into November only can make me wonder. I'm sure, if ready, individuals will provide information from the right sources, with the right information for the right reasons, at the right time and their authority who are directly involved. I've attended meetings, wrote paper editorials, made phone calls for the DQ until I'm blue in the face. At two meetings in the past I don't recall any names from this web there sitting behind me before I walked to the microphone with sweating brow. Again, what do I know?

R. Dale Flick
Coal Haven Landing, Ohio River, Cincinnati.