View Single Post
Old 01-24-2007, 07:35 PM

That's interesting as to how the term 'truck farming' originated. I never would have guessed that! I wonder why no 'mud clerks' - maybe no muddy landings in California, or not civilized enough a term??? I've attached one of my C.T. Co. brochures, not sure which year, but it gives the tonnage amounts for 1927 on the Sacramento and San Joaquin Rivers, so its obviously 1928 or later. I don't know if the time table is legible in these attachments, but it states for both the DQ and DK: leave San Francisco 6:30PM arrive Sacramento 5:30AM; leave Sacramento 6:30 PM arrive San Francisco 5:30AM No Stops En Route. I always thought these were 'express' non-stop trips, but you listed several stops. Could those have been for one of the other boats, the Pride of the River or the Isleton? The DQ/DK fare was $1.80 one way, or $3 round trip. In today's money that would be $21.23 and $35.39 - but of course that didn't include luxurious bathrobes! If you can make out the brochure pictures, they are from top left clockwise: Observation Room on Boat Deck(Texas Lounge), the DK nearing Sacramento, suite with double bed and shower, twin beds and bath, a nook in the Social Hall on Saloon Deck(note the tapestry)now the stern of the Betty Blake Lounge, looking into Dining Room(forward half of BB Lounge), and Main Lobby on Saloon Deck(Gift Shop/Pursers Office)
Attached Thumbnails
'Landings' for DELTA KING/DELTA QUEEN.-image0.jpg   'Landings' for DELTA KING/DELTA QUEEN.-image0-1.jpg   'Landings' for DELTA KING/DELTA QUEEN.-image0-2.jpg