View Single Post
Old 01-24-2007, 05:30 AM

Default Naval Architecture

The discussion of the Creole Queen brought the difficulties for naval architects of excursion boats to mind. The job involves a lot of math and a lot of critical dealing with the USCG, both of which try men's souls, but the worst problem is owners. With a very few exceptions designing a boat is 90% costs, 8% violent argument and 2% art. The art may be reduced to favor either of the others and usually is.
The typical owner's idea of an excursion boat is a direct connection between the passengers' wallets and the bar, with no filters or diversions. Stability, stairways, air, light, engines, steering, sewage disposal and potable water, safety and fire-fighting equipment, color scheme and restrooms are all secondary to this one vital connection. No naval architect I ever heard of had the clout to force his notions on clients or regulators as Frank Lloyd Wright did.
One boat I designed for Florida was the worst-looking vessel on Earth in my opinion. After seeing one in San Diego, this moved to second place.
There are some pretty horrible-looking excursion boats out there designed by my colleagues and myself. Don't blame us. Blame costs and income considerations for the owner.