Thread: American Eagle
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2014, 10:27 AM

*'Riverlorian' * other steamboat terms*
Morning, Ted and Steamboating colleagues:
Good question for the giant SNICKERS bar on the sage term 'Riverlorian.' Not totally certain personally as I went for long periods of time never laying eyes on the DELTA QUEEN. No doubt you, Keith Norrington, Judy Patsch, Jim Reising, Kenny Howe etc. would have greater clarity. I kinda' thought I first heard it in/around the DQ offices back here when Betty Blake was the CEO. The first person on any of the boats I connected the title to was, I 'think,' Toots when she was aboard. That was now a long time ago. Earlier years on the GORDON C. GREENE & DELTA QUEEN chief GL Purser Bob McCann was the offical voice over the PA system from the office saying, "Ladies and gentleman, in a few moments we will...let me call your attentio to..." At times then hostesses Peg Baker and Marty Stouder would make PA announcements etc. Plain and simple and that was it with no formal title.

Another term emerging in the Betty Blake days was 'Steamboatin' appearing in her press folders, press articles, literature, brochures printed here in Cincinnati by Steinhauser Press. No, she didn't coin it. Later it appeared protected with the registered trademark with the little (R) next to it as a protected logo, trademark. At times you all have seen on packages, logos the same little (R) or (C) with "Logo mark pending...copyright pending" as it was not yet formally registered. Violate any mark (R) or (C) and you'll learn fast legally what can happen. 'Steamboatin' appeared often years and years before then usually with the small 's' with 'steamboatin.' Then U.S. President Herbert Hoover, during his celebrated visit dedicating the then new Ohio River locks and dams in 1929, used 'steamboatin' in his formal address of dedication.

Capt. Tom Greene, no slouch of a fine writer himself, used his favorite term 'Steamboatiana' in a letter humourously referencing boat fans to friend Dan Heekin when Tom was considering what whistle to use on his then new DELTA QUEEN. In earlier California days on the Sacramento River, both DELTA KING and DELTA QUEEN were termed by river people there as "ships" since they operated in two water mediums from San Francisco bay up the Sacramento. DELTA KING was then titled the flagship of the California Transportation Co. Otherwise here steamboats were termed just "boats...or the boat" with all knowing what was meant. Early GREENE LINE STEAMERS brochures, ads termed the DELTA QUEEN as "steamer." I always heard Mrs. Letha Greene use the terms "boat" or "steamer." The vast roof of the huge old GREENE LINE wharfboat was always emblazoned with GREENE LINE STEAMERS and not STEAMBOATS. It begs the question as to what is in a name? Plenty. Well, what do I know?

R. Dale Flick
Coal Haven Landing, Ohio River, Cincinnati