View Single Post
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 07-19-2011, 05:13 PM
Bob Reynolds Bob Reynolds is online now
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Paragould, AR or on m/v MAGNOLIA
Posts: 1,422

My father-in-law, Irv Shrake, passed this along to me in an email ealier today. I could not see the source of his info., so copied and pasted it into this post.

Vmix : Raw Video: Admiral leaves the St. Louis Riverfront

UPDATED at 11:35 a.m. Tuesday
ST. LOUIS The Admiral pulled away from the St. Louis Riverfront late Tuesday morning and is heading south to Columbia, Ill.

Towboats were on either end of the Admiral as it began its journey. It is supposed to arrive in Columbia by the end of the day. There, the remaining parts of the boat's superstructure will be dismantled for recycling.

About 10 people were watching the workers with Luhr Bros., the towboat company that is handling the removal. The small crowd included a couple that dated on the Admiral, starting in 1956. They had fond memories of the boat.

Jim Rodgers, 77, of St. Louis County, is a retired Monsanto chemical engineer. He and his wife, Patti Rodgers, 73, met on a blind date in the 1950s when he was in Air Force flight school in Malden, Mo.

Every other weekend, he would drive to St. Louis from Malden and they would go on the Admiral. They said it was romantic to be on the top deck.

"It was a big deal to go on the Admiral," Patti Rodgers said.



Get ready to wave goodbye to the Admiral.

The old excursion boat last used as a casino is scheduled to leave the St. Louis riverfront Tuesday morning. St. Louis Marine, which bought the Admiral last year from Pinnacle Entertainment, plans to take the boat down the Mississippi to the Columbia, Ill., area.

Bill Kline, St. Louis Marine's spokesman, says work will begin at about 9 a.m. tomorrow to remove the Admiral from its mooring just north of the Eads Bridge. The river level has dropped enough in recent days to allow the Admiral--its top deck already removed--to clear the old bridge.

Three towboats will take the Admiral to Columbia, where the remaining parts of the boat's superstructure will be dismantled for recycling. Kline says a decision has yet to be made on what to do with the Admiral's hull.

Hull weakness discovered by the Coast Guard in 1979 led to the Admiral's banishment from cruising the river. Streckfus Steamers, which had put a million-dollar Art Deco steel skin on the Admiral in 1940, sold the boat in 1981 to a Pittsburgh businessman who removed its diesel engines and announced a plan to move the boat there. He later sold the Admiral to interests in St. Louis, where it reopened in 1987 as an entertainment center managed by Six Flags Corp. It flopped.

Refashioned as the President Casino in 1994, the Admiral was again busy for a few years. A dispute in 2010 between Pinnacle and Missouri gaming officials over the President's declining revenue led to the company's decision to surrender the casino's state license, remove the gaming equipment and sell the Admiral to St. Louis Marine.

And now, stripped of all artifacts of its cruising and gambling days, the Admiral is almost gone for good.
Reply With Quote