Thread: Paul Underwood
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2006, 05:01 PM

Steamboating colleagues:
I'm enjoying the postings/memories Re: Paul Underwood from all of you who were there then. I posted the below quite a while ago but thought I'd dig it out again for many of the new members on the web.

CINCINNATI ENQUIRER, Friday, Aug 11, 1961. 'RIVER BOAT CAPTAIN RETIRES TODAY: Paul Underwood leaves DELTA QUEEN.'

'One more chapter in the ever-colorful saga of river lore will come to an end when the Str. DELTA QUEEN eases beside the GREENE LINE wharf at 1:00 AM tomorrow. When the mooring lines are secured, it will signal the successful finish of countless voyages over the inland waterways for Capt. Paul Underwood, Florence, Alabama. The veteran nagvigator of the lengths of the Ohio, the Mississippi and tributaries, disclosed his retirement plans yesterday at Evansville, Ind.

With Capt. Underwood at the pilot wheel for the last time, the DELTA QUEEN last night was plying its majestic way upstream from Louisville. It is returning from a weekly cruise to Kentucky Lake--a round trip taken countless times by Capt. Underwood.

A riverman most of his life, Underwood joined the GREENE LINE STEAMERS in 1952, serving as pilot on the old GORDON C. GREENE when it plied the Tennessee River. Prior to that he was associated with the Ohio River Division, U.S. Corps of Engineers, holding pilot and master licenses on the Ohio, Mississippi and Tennesse Rivers for many years.

Mrs. Letha C. Greene, President of the GREENE LINE, named Underwood as captain on February 24, 1956. He had been pilot of the boat the two preceding seasons.' END [The ENQUIRER