View Single Post
Old 11-15-2006, 04:02 PM

Hi, Bruno & Jon:
I'm 'fuzzy' about the paddlewheel now mounted at the Howard Museum in Jeffersonville, IN. Keith Norrington would know in a jiffy and will be back on line tomorrow. Alan Bates and others could also enlighten us.

I do recall hearing, that when the shaft broke on the DELTA QUEEN, there was a gentleman taking his daily constitution walking around the deck and happened to look over and see the shaft cracked. He was no fool and sounded the alarm PRONTO! Capts. Don Sanders, Bob Reynolds etc. may know the full story. Even the best of steel after all of those years of rolling, rolling, backing, heading would have developed stress cracks.

Now, I've one. I pulled down Stan Garvey's 'KING & QUEEN of the River' book to refresh my memory of the World War II days. Pretty interesting stuff. No doubt the Navy crew aboard were at times armed and had armanents. John Burns related to me he recalled "A cabin on the boat used to store sidearms, rifles--no doubt a machine gun or several thrown in." The DK/DQ from the get go were equipped with magnetic compases for navigation on San Francisco Bay and its upper reaches. I've often wondered if the boats ever had guns mounted on deck? Yet, from what I recall, deck guns are a touchy thing needing solid footing and mounting. The wood/canvas decks on the boats would have been an issue. The Japanese threat after Pearl Harbor was an ever present one with fears of 'mini subs' sneaking along the coast and into San Francisco Bay itself. The Navy mounted lookouts on the very top deck during drills and alerts etc.

Cheers,
R. Dale Flick