View Single Post
Old 05-16-2010, 08:47 PM

Default Day 2 Chautauqua

Unfortunately the weather forecast was correct and there was a steady light rain all day today to dampen the festivities at the Howard grounds. We still had visitors to the mansion steadily throughout the day, but nowhere near the 800 who passed through Saturday. Our featured guests were Capt. Charlie Lehman and his wife Sally. Keith and I enjoyed an hour long visit with them, which was filled with anecdotes as enjoyable as appear in his recently published book A Riverman's Lexicon. If you haven't bought this gem yet, there's no time like the present to do so! I was surprised to learn that Capt. Charlie had been at the Dubuque extravaganza honoring Alan - had I known that , he certainly would have been invited to visit the MUMR museum along with Alan and David - next year Capt. Charlie! Travis returned at the end of the day to join us at Kingfish round two, and then we looked over a couple of MQ photo albums I brought for the occasion. For those of you who attended our gathering at Towne Suites last year after River Ramblings, and who plan to attend again this year: the suite I've got this time has quite a bit more room for seating. I don't think anyone will have to sit up on the kitchen counter this year. Remember the date: August 21, Capt. Carl Henry will share his life on the river in word and pictures in the Howard Museum's River Rambling series.
Picture one shows Keith, Sally and Capt. Charlie Lehman on the 2nd floor of the mansion.
Picture two shows the current state of the retrieval of the STAR's landing barge which sank a while back.
Attached Thumbnails
Live from the Louisville Levee, almost...-img_1259.jpg   Live from the Louisville Levee, almost...-img_1257.jpg