View Single Post
Old 05-03-2010, 08:52 PM

Default Part 2 of Ceremony for Capt. Alan Bates

Thumbnail #1 shows Alan, Charlie Lehman, Corky Bickel and yours truly at the book-signing table on Saturday. Thumbnail #3 pictures my son Jonathan with Alan, after he had received his own personally autographed copies of Moonlight at 8:30 and Belle of Louisville. His dad's comment as he snapped this photo was, "Good, now I can finally get my own copies of those books back from Jonathan!" Thumbnail #2 shows Alan and Charlie Lehman with Museum director Jerry Enzler in the Capt. Bill Bowell River Library, discussing some planned exhibits for the new River Museum expansion scheduled to open at the end of June.

As impressive and festive as the Award ceremony and banquet were, I think the collection of personal greetings from some of Alan's river friends which he received later in the weekend, was perhaps one of the special moments for him. Without a doubt, the highlight of the four days for me was the priceless opportunity to just spend time visiting with Alan and Rita and listening to some great stories and reminiscences. Time did not permit the installation of a remote audio recording device in my car, but that should be standard equipment for such special occasions as these!
Attached Thumbnails
Alan Bates gets Achievement Award-captains-ball-2010-019.jpg   Alan Bates gets Achievement Award-captains-ball-2010-030.jpg   Alan Bates gets Achievement Award-captains-ball-2010-021.jpg