View Single Post
Old 08-29-2009, 09:24 AM

Default Interior views

1) The main deck buffet line. During the 3 day trip, a buffet line was set up on both the Main and Boiler Decks. We were served on the Boiler Deck, but there is no assigned seating. So of course I took my meals out on deck. I really appreciated this aspect of the operation, as I can't stand to be inside when the weather is nice. The dark rectangles on the air conditioning are lighted scenes of Illinois River history. They are plastic but look to be stained glass.
2) The Boiler or Second deck looking astern. That is Tom, the volunteer bartender. His wife Bev is the entertainer extraordinaire, playing the piano and calliope. Other entertainment included: Barry, a guitar/banjo player with a lot of John Hartford repertoire; Brian, a storyteller and riverlorian. There was no lack of entertainment during any of the trip, and all three of these people have been with the company for years. As a narrator on the NATCHEZ, my only request would have been commentary on the river landmarks we were passing. Too often a performance was going on which was not interrupted to point something out. But I had printed out a listing of landmarks for our group, so they had a pretty good idea of what we were passing anyway.
3) The Boiler Deck looking forward. One of the best things regarding passenger service in my book on this trip was the FREE soda pop throughout. I am not a lemonade, iced tea or coffee drinker, which are the usual free staples.
Attached Thumbnails
SPIRIT OF PEORIA trip report and pix-spirit-tour-landings_0009.jpg   SPIRIT OF PEORIA trip report and pix-spirit-tour-landings_0010.jpg   SPIRIT OF PEORIA trip report and pix-spirit-tour-landings_0011.jpg