View Single Post
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 07-29-2009, 01:29 PM
Keith Norrington Keith Norrington is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: On the "Beautiful Ohio" at New Albany, Indiana, opposite Louisville, Kentucky
Posts: 2,078
Default

The two structures on the hurricane deck were cabins. One of them was for Capt. Buck and the other was shared by two chambermaids. The high water photo at the St. Louis levee was taken in 1945 by Edwin and Louise Rosskam, authors of Towboat River. The GOLDIE didn't run the seasons of 1944-1945 due to her boilers being condemned by the inspectors and no chance for replacement due to World War II. The tug aft of the wharfboat is the COLORADO, built in 1891 as the ARCHIE PARKER and also owned by the Eagle Packet Company, similar to the SUSIE HAZARD, which operated into the 1950's.

Here's an additional photo from that time period of idleness. Note, also, that her stacks were removed.
Attached Thumbnails
Summer Fun on the Str. GOLDEN EAGLE-golden-eagle-1944-45-st.-louis.jpg  
Reply With Quote