View Single Post
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 06-23-2009, 03:21 PM
Keith Norrington Keith Norrington is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: On the "Beautiful Ohio" at New Albany, Indiana, opposite Louisville, Kentucky
Posts: 2,078
Default

According to Capt. Fred Way, the roof bell on the DQ originally was on the Anchor Line sidewheeler CITY OF ST. LOUIS, built by the Howard Shipyard at Jeffersonville, Indiana in 1883. The boat burned in 1903 while laid up, but the bell survived and was sold to Capt. J. Frank Ellison who placed it on the Str. QUEEN CITY, remaining on that boat for her entire career which spanned 1897-1940. Later, the bell served briefly on the towboat MILDRED, the packet OUACHITA, and the towboat JOHN W. HUBBARD. The bell was placed aboard the DQ in 1947.

Photos:
(1) City of St. Louis under construction at Howard's - 1883.
(2) City of St. Louis at a landing.
(3) Roof bell in place on DQ
Attached Thumbnails
Delta Queen bell-city-st.-louis-howards.jpg   Delta Queen bell-city-st.-louis-anchor-line.jpg   Delta Queen bell-delta-queen-roof-bell.jpg  

Reply With Quote