View Single Post
Old 05-07-2009, 08:07 AM

Default " Our Lives Are Defined By Opportunities Even Those That Are Missed " !

Greetings From New Orleans ,
First of all , I am sure that many of you are probably thinking just what in the world is Davisson rambling off on today but please bear with me and allow me to explain . The quote from the movie , The Curious Life Of Benjamine Buttons , " Our Lives Are Defined By Opportunities , Even Those That Are Missed " , are just a few of the many deep and probing quotes in this movie that deserve mention . Secondly , the movie was partially filmed in the New Orelans area with quite a few local scenes of the river , the French Quarter , the street cars , tug boats , ships and one other thing that I appreciate is that the actors did not attempt to distort a true New Orleans accent . If you have not had an opportunity to see this movie , I would highly reccomend it if for no other reason than to see the local New Orleans sights and culture . Now having said that , what caught my ear , was the quote in the movie " Our lives are defined by opportunites and even those that are missed " , and they really do define our lives and I am a perfect example of that . Prior to my career on the river , I worked at a Shakey's Pizza parlor on weekends in high school and on one night I was taking a break and I just happened to strike up a conversation with the banjo player by the name of Mr. Bert Peck . In the course of our conversation I mentioned to Bert that for the most part I had , had it with flipping pizzas and if he knew of anyone that was hireing . Well , without hesitation , he told me of an acquaintance of his , a man by the name of Captain Earnest Wagner and of an old steamboat called the Delta Queen and that I could use his name as a reference . Well , I took his advice and went to the Avondale ship yard where the Delta Queen was in her winter layup and meet this Captain named Wagner . At first he told me that they had a full deck crew but when I mentioned Bert Peck's name , without hesitation he gave me a second look and hired me on . So , there you have it , had it not been for a job working in a pizza shop , had it not been for a slow night , had it not been for an old banjo player named Bert Peck , had it not been for a Captain named Wagner , had it not been for the ability to aquire the time and trips on an unlimited tonage steamboat , in all likelyhood I would not be piloting ships on the Mississippi River today . So no telling what other opportunities and yes even those that were missed would have taken me off in some other direction in life .
Serious Food for thought folks and have you ever pondered in your own life , just what opportunities entered your life to steer you to where you are today ??
Hope you enjoy the movie !
Smooth Sailing !
TedDavisson
Attached Thumbnails
" Our Lives Are Defined By Opportunities Even Those That Are Missed " !-aaa-048.jpg   " Our Lives Are Defined By Opportunities Even Those That Are Missed " !-o-k-011.jpg   " Our Lives Are Defined By Opportunities Even Those That Are Missed " !-uio-070.jpg