View Single Post
Old 04-27-2009, 08:33 PM

Default Being on the boat

I am there 5 days a week and I see all the efforts that are being taken to maintain the integrity of the vessel. I just called Roger (Mate) to make sure that we had the proper instructions to drop the stack to paint it. It looks good. The decks are being repainted. We have cleaning people who come on every day and work to keep the carpets vacuumed and the public places clean and spiffy.

Of course, we don't have 80+ people who know that boat inside and out living on board. But you do have a concerted effort to maintain and care for our beloved Delta Queen. Once again, I want to point out that if this boat were not in Chattanooga, it would be sitting in New Orleans and going to ruin. I love that old boat, and I am grateful that there are people who are willing to invest their time, energy and money into doing something that will protect our boat. Some days it is two steps forward and one step back, but they keep going forward.

Since I'm working on the boat, maybe I'm persona non grata, so my words are suspect. I guess that bad news and erroneous facts are more interesting than good things. If you have any questions about what is happening on our boat, please feel free to email me at jenniferlmmn@yahoo.com.

I had the best job of my career working on the Delta Queen, and I would love to see that boat moving in the water again as she was designed to do. But, in the meantime, I am grateful that she is being taken care of and watched over. I am also grateful that many people have been able to come on board and tour the boat and learn about her history.

Current management may be hotel people as opposed to boat people, but that does not mean that they do not care about all the boat is and would love nothing more than to see that boat running the rivers again. That is what we would all like to see.

I am proud to be watching over the Delta Queen, and for those of you who don't know me, I am NOT afraid to express my opinion, and if I thought that the wrong things were happening on this hotel venture, I would be the first to say so.