View Single Post
Old 04-24-2009, 10:06 AM

Default Update from aboard the Delta Queen

I heard there was a growing curiosity here on steamboats.org. about the Delta Queen project in Chattanooga. Let me gladly be your eyes and ears here on the boat.

I have been on the boat here in Chattanooga for the past two weeks and a lot is happening. These guys are dealing with a huge project, but they are heartfelt and dedicated to preserving this boat and keeping it open to the public.

Yes, we all hope the Delta Queen will cruise again, but until that day comes, I am very thankful for her not to be rotting away at the dock in New Orleans. I was aboard for the trip from New Orleans to Chattanooga, and I can tell you from the time I left the DQ in November to what I saw in February was shocking. A boat untended can go to ruin so quickly. Due to an enormous amount of work and TLC here, the Delta Queen is looking as beautiful as ever.

Let me get some updates from the operators and workers about the current projects and I'll post here in the next couple of days. If you have specific questions, feel free to email them to me at billwiemuth@yahoo.com and I'll find out the answers. I will also be posting further details and photos on my blog at Delta Queen Blog.

I miss you all aboard the boat. Laura and I will be performing and lecturing on the Delta Queen through July and hope to see you here in Chattanooga.