View Single Post
Old 04-02-2009, 09:04 AM

Default Idea for Punching Up The Steamboat Race

Keith, thanks for posting the photos. I especially liked the towboat race for Jeffersonville’s Bicentennial Celebration and 45,000 people watching. Who says a boat race cannot be entertaining and draw people? Maybe the answer to why the interest in the Derby Steamboat Race has waned over the years can be found in the photo. Notice all the pleasure boats that are allowed to follow the race, thus participating in the race. The Derby Steamboat Race does not allow any participation of pleasure boaters during the race. I could cast some blame to the Derby Committee or the Coast Guard for this but won't since I don't know who is responsible. Society today is so concerned with protecting us from ourselves that the fun and excitement gets sucked out of trying to participate in life. Here is what I propose for the Derby Steamboat race. Allow pleasure boaters to follow the boats back to the finish after the turn around is completed and make it clear to everyone that they stay behind the Judge’s Boat that is following behind the steamboats. Sounds like an opportunity for the Coast Guard Auxiliary to do something useful to help maintain a little order.....just remember a little chaos is what people are looking for anyway. Thanks for listening to my morning musings.