Thread: Dubuque Boats
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2009, 01:23 PM

Location: On the "Beautiful Ohio" at New Albany, Indiana, opposite Louisville, Kentucky

If you're referring to the little split wheel GOLDEN ARROW, she was built at Dubuque in 1964, 87' x 24', very plush and owned by a group of St. Louis businessmen (as a bicentennial gesture to the city), one of whom was the late Chapin S. Newhard. Her landing was near the south leg of the Gateway Arch. Ruth Ferris once told me about being invited for a harbor cruise, by Mr. Newhard, one day while she was curator of the riverboat museum aboard the Str. BECKY THATCHER at the St. Louis levee. She said the boat was immaculate, comfortably air conditioned, furnished with beautiful antiques and that "stiff" drinks were served (by a white coated bartender) followed by an elegant, catered luncheon. Ruth thought it unusual that a typewriter was kept in the pilothouse upon which the uniformed captain, who was employed full time at the beck and call of the owners, typed the log.

The GOLDEN ARROW must have been purchased by Streckfus, for she was tied up behind the wharfboat next to the ADMIRAL for some time. In the summer of 1976, I saw the GOLDEN ARROW at St. Petersburg, Florida, serving as the ticket office and wharfboat for the TOM SAWYER, which was running excursions there. Later, the little boat was back at St. Louis, but I have no idea what became of her after that. Attached is a snapshot of her, taken in 1968 at St. Louis by the late Capt. Roy L. Barkhau, who was on the staff of The Waterways Journal. Also, a 1965 view of her in front of the newly completed Gateway Arch with the now gone steam sternwheel Army Corps of Engineers dredge SAINTE GENEVIEVE in the background. I'll see what else I can find in the way of photos to share.
Attached Thumbnails
Dubuque Boats-golden-arrow-1968-barkhau.jpg   Dubuque Boats-golden-arrow-front-arch-1965.jpg