View Single Post
Old 10-10-2006, 09:31 PM

Default Aboard the DQ at Tall Stacks

For many years I have been trying to get to TAll Stacks without success. This year the redhead and I finally made it as passengers aboard the DQ.
One of my great dreams came true and it was just as exciting as I had imagined it would be.

The DQ appeared to be in excellent shape. Clean and well maintained. The crew seemed to be up beat and happy to be on the Boat. I did not hear a discouraging word from any of the crew members. Some that I have known for years were very candid about change taking place a bit roughly but all had expectations of it getting better for next year. I had about five minutes with Captain Gabe as he departed the DQ for a month in Colorado. All seems to be going very well with him. Captain Mike Williams relieved Captain Gabe and was his normal cheerful, competent self. He is doing very well.

The sad news was Bob Schadd. Bob was departing the DQ unexpectedly after having emergency surgery for a detached retina. The prognosis is very good that he will regain full vision but he has to take it very easy for some time to come. Eric Hadley was a bit nervous taking over as cruise director since both Jazzou and Bob had departed unexpectedly before him. Eric did his usual great job. Banjo Bob is doing well and is always fun to be around. He said he hears from Bud Black once in a while but it's always about music and nothing about how Bud is doing. The really great news is that our own Mary has risen through the ranks of bartender, watchman, and is now the riverlorean. She is very good at it especially since Cincinatti is her home turf.
She is toying with the idea of trying to move over into the deck department and work her way up to a Captain's license. The redhead has her Master's ticket and Mary spent a lot of time picking her brain about what it's like to be a female captain.

Due to high water, the MQ and DQ were not able to dock in the Tall Stacks area but rather had to stay at a park upstream. They bused us to the Tall Stacks area which worked out rather well. It would have been nice to dock in the TS compound but Mother Nature just wasn't going for it. I had seen old pictures of lots of steamboats lined up on a shoreline but seeing it for real was incredible. I agree that it would have been really nice to be able to tour the boats in the morning and maybe that will happen in the future. I didn't have any problems with the emphasis on entertainment; I just ignored it and stayed in the docking area. Watching the boats coming and going was awesome.

The parade of Boats was both the high point and the low point of the event.
Seeing all the Boats lined up and steaming at the same time was beyond description. The low point came when one of the boats decided they wanted to lead the parade and passed other boats despite direction from control and the other boats not to do it. I'm sure there was some really good reason for that. My experience is blue water not brown water so I'm not sure how proper or improper it might have been.

In any event, Tall Stacks exceeded all of my high expectations. The only thing that would have made it better would have been to have met some of the fine folks on this list. I found the DQ to be maintaining her high standards but I do agree that there should be 6 musicians in the band. I did however, eat Mississippi Mud Pie at the Captain's dinner and again at lunch the next day.

Bear