View Single Post
Old 02-24-2009, 03:49 PM

Default More Str. Lunga Point Pictures !

Greetings From Plaquemine , La. ,
Today I am south bound on an in-ballast tanker out of Exxon , Baton Rouge and when making my steer around Plaquemine Point , river mile 209 LMR , I could not help but notice that the salvage operation on the Str. Lunga Point has now intensified with the addition of a second derrick barge . I would just have to imagine that barring any unexpected problems or issues , they should have the Lunga Point afloat in the next few days . I am not sure if they're working 24/7 with the salvage operation but needless to say , I am pleased to see them making progress . I also hope that come next hurricane season , this whole river region of southeast Louisiana will be spared from another season of Mother Nature's wrath ! Time will tell !
Smooth Sailing !
Ted Davisson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Davisson View Post
Greetings From New Orleans ,
Well , FINALLY , the Str. Lunga Point is geting raised and salvaged from her leve side resting place since Hurrican Ike blew through this last September 11th. . Hurricane Ike made landfall as a Level 3 hurriccane and the damage she inflicted is still very much present in south Louisiana . In my opinion , just one of the many tradegies that she brought to the river region of Louisiana was the partial sinking of the old Str. Lunga Point . Fortunately , and I guess better latter than never , her present owners , the Plaquemine Point Shipyard ( formerly known as the Banta Fleet ) is now in the process of raising and salvaging this old steam tow boat and I can only assume that she will go back into service at the shipyard to clean tank barges with the steam from her vintage boilers . Time will tell ! Also , in the first picture , and in the foreground is one of the model bow , harbor tugs that we use to maneuver the ships in and out of the docks and anchorages with .
Smooth Sailing !
Ted Davisson
Attached Thumbnails
Str. Lunga Point FINALLY Salvaged !-dddd-013.jpg   Str. Lunga Point FINALLY Salvaged !-dddd-015.jpg   Str. Lunga Point FINALLY Salvaged !-dddd-016.jpg