View Single Post
Old 09-24-2006, 08:04 PM

Default The NATCHEZ is enroute to Tall Stacks...

The NATCHEZ left the Toulouse St. Wharf at 2:15 today, Sunday the 24th, on her way up the lower Miss and the hopefully not-too-high Ohio enroute to Tall Stacks. As I was talking to Capt. Don Houghton this evening, they were passing the Bonne Carre spillway and dining on spaghetti and meatballs. There are 18 crew aboard, almost all navigation/deck/engineering. A few more will meet the boat in Cincy, and the dining room will be staffed by Cincinnati area people. Dan Back and I will also meet the boat in Cincy to volunteer in the gift shop. The tentative schedule is for an 'express' trip, with a probable stop in Louisville and arrival in Cincy on Monday Oct. 2. For those who may have missed it in the early stages of TS talk, the NATCHEZ is not stopping to do tramping trips as she does not have the crew for it. The 18 aboard represent only about half a normal crew compliment for a regular harbor cruise, let alone for big tramping crowds. The tourist industry is hanging on by a thread in NOLA, awaiting the return of the conventions next year and so most of those businesses, including New Orleans Steamboat, have not hired full staffs back yet. More on the NATCHEZ' progress as I get it... let's hope that the 10 inches of rainfall in the Ohio Valley don't raise that creek too much this week!