Thread: What I'll Miss
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2008, 07:25 PM

Maybe we ought to take this 'I'll miss this..." theme a bit further...should we list specific, material things we miss about the boats? And notice that all the Mississippi River boats should be included here. Could be interesting...what the hell, let's include specific crew loves also...

Just talked to Deb, here's our beginning 10...we'll probably add more later.

1. the whistle, you can feel it, not just hear it, especially Sundeck Bow. I'm sorry but I'm biased, Capt Finley and Capt Schultz are the pros here at blowing that thing...
2. The calliope...and it doesn't matter who's playing it. I pride myself that I can figure out pretty much who's playing it from YouTube. You know when Tony does his thing, as does everybody, he starts by warming up all the whistles. He starts playing, basically the same group of songs each time, wonderful...anyways, toward the middle there is a tune he plays that requires the far port side little itty-bitty whistle, by then cooled off. It spits and sputters, raining all and Tony moves on. But the tune comes back to that note, he plays it a second time and it always comes out clear and sweet.
3. A mug of coffee, Sundeck Starboard, between 4 and 6 AM watching the sun rise and/or watching the fog lift. See my earlier post about Michael...and me making the Forward Cabin Lounge coffee myself at 4:30 AM as fast as possible so I don't get "yelled" at...
3. The individual staterooms. DQ322 has the shower plumbed backwards. DQ320 and DQ330 have showers with ceilings at 5 feet 8 inches with a shower head that sprays about 6 inches above your butt. Every stateroom is unique and has it's own personality...AQ429 has an incredible river view with the doors open. DQ107 you sleep with your head lower than your feet and hope and pray the night watchman, who's walking over your head at night, hasn't just bought new shoes.
4. How the Texas liquor bottles clang against each other underway. How the bed in every DQ stateroom shakes while underway...How the bed in AQ429 doesn't wiggle an inch while underway.
5. How the chandelier at the Grand Staircase boogies with the moves of the boat.
6. The popcorn smell of the Texas...
7. Rainbows at the paddlewheel.
8. the smell and sound of the bowthruster combined with the woosh of the steam capstan.
9. The Aurora effect, and no I'm not talking about the colored lights...I'm talking about the pre-concert silliness, wonderful stuff...
10. The smell, how utterly unique, how utterly bed and breakfastish, just like Grandmas...
11. DQ 119 while underway...thump...thump/thump....thump...thump/thump and then you hear the telegraph...
12. Hunter Green paint...and me walking on it while it was still sticky...and getting yelled at, but damn, that's my footprint for posterity, at least for a little while.
13. turlet and burler
14. Schmutz on the deck, Deb's word for soot. The blue towels, the wicker hampers.
15. the individual state flags
16. pea soup fog and waking up to the fog horn and that silly light that goes with it.
17. trying as only an engineer tries to do, pray for us, to figure out why there are two reds and at least two whites on the light staffs. I know what one of the reds is for, is that a good thing after 9 seasons?
18. How the AQ can dance! Crab sideways, no problem...Backup and turn at the same time without the bowthruster, piece of cake...
19. MQ402...my gawd, what a view, I was hooked for life.
20. Louie, Louie on the MQ's calliope...you can't imagine how that stroked my psyche...

I guess I went a bit far, but you get the drift. Really, I would like to hear what floats your boat about the boats...

Please, bring it on...