View Single Post
Old 10-05-2008, 01:47 PM

Default Ralph

Ralph's wife phoned me shortly after noon with the news of his death. He died in his sleep at home today, Sunday. The LaCrosse Tribune will be the newspaper with information tomorrow or Tuesday. I met Ralph on the DQ in 1976, when he was just beginning his phenomenal project of gathering steamboat photos. He thought 20,000 or so would be a wonderful thing - we have ended up with over 45,000 thanks to Ralph's sleuthing and traveling the country gathering from collections most didn't know existed. Thanks to Ralph, we have a wonderful photographic history of steamboating in the U.S. Ralph always brought duplicates of the latest acquisitions to sell at S&D and Midwest Buffs. Much of my collection comes from his work. But buying pix from Ralph often looked like a drug deal going down - he'd motion for you to come out of a meeting or conversation and then you'd go to a back corner or even out to his van to peruse the new finds. How he could keep track of whether he had certain photos or not was beyond me. Ralph not only was a good friend to many in the steamboating world, but he served the steamboating world in a fashion no other has ever done. He will be missed.
Attached Thumbnails
Ralph DuPae passed away last night-image0.jpg