View Single Post
Old 09-07-2006, 06:40 PM

Default Steamboat "Fort Towson" ca 1840's

Hello,
I am trying to get an idea what my gggrandfather's steamboat looked like. I have a description of the steamboat taken from Catahoula Parish Louisiana courthouse records of the purchase of the "Fort Towson" by my gggrandfather and grandmother (Samuel Glenn and Sarah Glenn) in 1845 in New Orleans. The description excerpted from the sale is:

".......ship or vessel called the Fort Towson of New Orleans, whereof J. W. Rhodes is at present master and as he hath sworn a citizen of the United States, and the said Ship or vessel was built at Louisville state of Kentucky, in the year Eighteen hundred and forty two, as per enrollment no 07- issued at this port on the 2nd day of August Eighteen hundred and forty three now surrendered, property changed in part, and said enrollment having certified that the said Ship or vessel has one Deck and no mast and that her length is one hundred and thirty five feet, her bredth twenty three feet five inches, her depth Four feet nine inches and that she measured One hundred and forty two and 13/95 tons, that she is a Sr Boat, has a cabin above deck and plain head and the said John W. Rhodes having agreed to the description and and measurement above specified and sufficient Security having given according to the said act, the said Sr Boat has been duly enrolled at the Port of New Orleans. given under our hands and seals at the Port of New Orleans this twelfth day of November in the year one thousand eight hundred and forty four."
Way's book gives the following description:"SW p wh b. Louisville, Ky., 1842. 142 tons. 135X23.5X4.8........In April 1845 sold to Sarah Swofford (Glenn), Catahoula Parish, La., and master was Capt. Samuel Glenn, Jr. Off the list in 1847."
I have seen the boat advertised in the New Orleans papers in the early 1840's with Samuel Glenn as master, usually advertised as taking passengers for fishing outings, etc.
Is there some way to get a sketch or picture of a boat similar to this description of that time period to use in the family history I am writing? That would really help the family get a visual picture of what this type boat looked like. If you cannot help, could you give me suggestions on who to contact for this type info?
I thank you in advance for any help you may be able to provide.
James Barry Morgan