View Single Post
Old 05-06-2008, 09:02 AM

Dear friends of Capt. Trone,

Just received this e-mail from the editor of the Brodhead (WI) Independent-Register.

"The crash of a single engine aircraft near the Brodhead Airport claimed the life of a Petersburg, Illinois man about 5 p.m. on Monday afternoon. Dennis Trone, 77, was the lone occupant of the aircraft and pronounced dead at the scene. The Green County Sheriff's Department received a 911 call from a passing motorist describing the crash in a field 400 yards south of the airport. The pilot was flying a local pattern, according to the Federal Aviation Administration. Green County deputies, the Brodhead Fire Department, Brodhead EMS and Brodhead police responded to the scene. Trone, retired from the Navy, leaves a wife and four children. He was a regular flier at the airport, logging many hours per week. The cause of the crash remains under investigation by the National Transportation Safety Board, Federal Aviation Administration, the Green County Sheriff's Department and the Green County Coroner's office."

As additional information becomes available, I will keep you posted. What a tremendous loss the river community has suffered with the passing of this multi-talented individual. Jonathan and I were scheduled to interview Capt. Trone this coming June as part of his research paper on steam calliopes on the inland rivers. The TWILIGHT is enroute this morning from LeClaire to Newt's drydock in Dubuque, and it will be a very sad, somber trip for all of them, I'm sure.